Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Few Hits And Misses

So we all have a few beauty products that absolutely adore, the ones that we talk about 24/7 and use every last drop of. But we also have the products we don't like. The ones that look funny on, don't wear well or are just plain unusable! Well these are just a couple of products that I found within my first year of blogging to be great hits and terrible misses.

Hits

Face

NYC Smooth Skin Liquid Makeup in Ivory
If anyone knows anything about me, it is that I am constantly on a never-ending quest for the best new foundation or concealer. Well on this quest, I have encountered a serious contender for my number one foundation in my current beauty product assortment, the NYC Smooth Skin Liquid Foundation. I can honestly say that I was not expecting much of this foundation considering it was just under $3.00, even though my beloved NYC Smooth Skin Pressed Bronzing Powder in Sunny is one of my best drugstore finds, I was still a little doubtful of this very low priced foundation. Read More...

Essence Mattifying Compact Powder in Translucent
Ever had that mid-day shine creep up on you faster than you can say, "Where the heck did that come from?" Well join the oily/combo skin club ladies and gents! I know what you're thinking, "Oh gosh, another drugstore product that fails to deliver the truly matte results I desire? No Thanks, I think I'll pass." But this time, I think I finally found something worth both your time and your $2.99. As a girl with super moody skin, one day I'm drier than the Sahara Desert and the next I'm greasier than an oil spill, I have learned to try and adapt to my skin's wants and needs. Read More...



Cheeks
Benefit Feelin' Cheeky Mini Set
I will admit it, I am a sucker for a good deal. So when I happened to be browsing around a Sephora (back when I was with my sister in the Virginia/D.C. area) I must have looked dumbstruck, utterly surprised and filled with desire when I saw the mere $15.00 price tag on this set of popular Benefit minis near the check-out line. I would be lying if I said I didn't snatch one up as fast as humanly possible before checking out! Read More...


NYC Smooth Skin Pressed Bronzing Powder in Sunny
For me, bronzer is almost an everyday must-have product because I am very, very, desperately pale and I despise spray tans and self-tan lotions that leave me orange and streaky. I'm also not much of a fan of super shimmery and glittery face bronzers (Too Faced Bronze Leopard for example) because I prefer to just add color and contour with bronzer and add to my cheeks a shimmery blush. Therefore, this bronzer is great for gals like me who prefer a matte, tan look without excessive orangey-ness or shimmer and glitter. Read More...

Eyes
Urban Decay Naked Palette
Once upon a time, I was innocently browsing Sephora's website to look at new products when I came across The Urban Decay Naked Palette. It had all of the eyeshadow colors a girl could need, from barely there naked to golden baked bronze and browns to the sultry and oh-so smokey black and grey. I had lusted after it and what do ya know, over half a year later, I've got my paws on it and I am not letting go anytime soon! It was just by chance I was able to meet with this highly anticipated palette so I grabbed it and ran the first chance I got! (don't worry, I stopped by the checkout line before running all the way home!) Read More...

LORAC Single Eyeshadows in Black, Negligee, and Boudoir 
I have to admit, I was kind of expecting these shadows to not be so great. Each of these shadows at retail price are about $19.00, but when I received them in my package from Hautelook I was very disappointed in their individual packaging. It isn't that the packaging is bad, but it felt a little cheap for $19.00 each. The shiny black plastic containers are not the sturdiest by any means and the screw-top tends to not screw on completely right ever since I took them off the first time. So with this in mind, I braced myself for some not-so-great eyeshadows (and felt thankful I didn't pay retail price for them). Read More... 


Mini Urban Decay Supercurl Curling Mascara
Also included is a mini Supercurl Curling Mascara with a bent wand that easily coats even the hardest-to-reach lashes with this *super* curling mascara. I can not say enough good things about this mascara, it coats every lash while separating and curling so there is no need for an eyelash curler or a lash comb. Read More...

Essence I ♥ Extreme Volume Mascara
With this mascara, I find I get all the extra oomph I need! In just one coat I get a good amount of separation just as I do with my other favorites, but this one also thickens my lashes just enough to still look natural and volumized. When another coat is added on top I find that my lashes start to stick together a little bit, but it is nothing that a few extra swipes or a lash comb can't fix in exchange for even more thicker looking lashes with a bit more length added into the mix. Read More...

Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion (Professional Size)
Present day I am a fully-obsessed Urban Decay lover for life, what started with this simple primer developed into a full on love affair with their eyeshadows and liner too which always perform their best when used in combination with this primer. Before I ever used a primer, my eyeshadow would almost always crease and fade throughout the day and I just thought I couldn't do anything about it, until that moment I tried out this classic cult-fave. Read More...

Lips

EOS Lip Sphere in Sweet Mint
With the rough and tough winter weather taking its' toll on my lippies, they were in need of some serious lip-loving rehab so I turned to a trusty favorite of many beauty gurus and bloggers, the EOS Lip Sphere. I know I'm a little late, but I think it's never really too-late to jump on the bandwagon and finally experience what is being hyped up in the beauty community. Especially when it's as cute as this little sphere of lip balm is! Read More...


Essence Stay With Me Longlasting Lipgloss in Candy Bar
Since I have to wake up oh so early in the morning and haul my tired tush to school, I literally NEED products that will go on quickly and easily and last all day. That also means I expect my lip products to stay on without bleeding while still feeling... well... pleasant. In my experience, most long-wearing products tend to be sticky and feel heavy, so I was pleasantly surprised when this formula turned out to be everything but that... at first. Read More...

Skincare

Yes To Cucumbers Facial Towelettes (30 count)
Finding a mediocre great makeup removing towelette in today's beauty isles can be hard, tiring and frustrating! With that said, I have tried what seems like a thousand different varieties and brands of towelettes, each failing to completely remove my makeup or leaving behind a sticky residue. Somehow when searching the isles of my local Tar-geh I just knew these would be the towelettes that would be life changing and end my search for the perfect one (as I had thought with every other wipe I had tried!). So after picking up a few other beauty items I rushed home to wait for night fall so I could try one out, I was certain they were magical! Read More...

Bath & Body

c. Booth Walnut Shell Body Scrub & Cleanser
After coming home and pretty much immediately stepping into the shower and squeezing out a grape sized dollop of this body scrub and cleanser, I noticed the nutty, warm vanilla fragrance waft up to my nose, which at first wasn't exactly my favorite since I prefer much more fresh and fruity scents. However, I have come to actually really enjoy the scent of it in the shower as it actually relaxes me when I use this before bed-time. All scent issues aside, I noticed the texture of it is sort-of somewhere between a gel and cream base that is actually really easy to rub into the skin and disperse the small to medium sized granules evenly. Read More...


Misses

Face

Rimmel London Stay Matte in 100 Ivory


After getting home and initially squeezing a small amount on the back of my hand I realized that the foundation was about 1-2 shades off from my natural fair skin color even though I picked the lightest shade they carry (100 ivory). But I still thought I would be able to work with it because I have done so before with other too-dark-for-me foundations by blending really well into the skin and using a lighter setting powder.
When I went to apply this foundation to my face, first I tried squeezing a very small amount onto a foundation brush and applying directly to my face, but found my foundation looked streaky and completely uneven. Read More...


Eyes

L'Oreal Voluminous  Million Lashes Mascara
This mascara also claims to have a no clumping formula that I tend to disagree with because I do get lashes that stick together and small clumps at the ends of my lashes every so often. However, I think this is just because of the very "wet" formula and after a month and a half it will start to dry out some so it is more workable with less drying time. L'Oreal also claims that this mascara brush is "uniquely designed to amplify and separate lashes from corner to corner while building breath taking volume." and parts of this statement I agree with like the volume and amplification of lashes. Other parts like separation (it clumps a small bit, not bad, but I hate having to go back and use a lash comb) and uniquely designed brush (it really does not look all that unique compared to the Buxom's patented hour-glass brush and the brush is very short in comparison as well).  Read More...

Bath & Body

Suave Cocoa Butter Body Lotion

When I picked this bottle up I was very impressed with the super low price of only $4.00 for 18 fluid ounces! However, I soon learned when I got home that I definitely chose the wrong scent to try out. After just one pump on my hand I could immediate smell the dark-chocolaty cocoa scent wafting up to my nose, which is a nice scent, don't get me wrong, but when I slathered this all over my arms and legs, I felt like I must have smelt like a Hershey chocolate bar! I expected a light cocoa scent, but nothing as sweet and sickening as what wafted out of the bottle! Read More...




Do you agree or disagree with me on any of the products?
Tell me why in the Comments!

1 comment:

Britt said...

Great post! I have all kinds of goodies to try out next time I'm at the drugstore! I was wondering about the NYC foundation.
I've been wanting that Benefit cheek trio for ages, but my Sephora never has it when I go in!
And of course, I totally agree with the Naked palette. Love it!