Friday, February 10, 2012

Makeup Review: Essence Eyebrow Designer

If you have been reading my blog for a while you probably know that I absolutely love Urban Decay's Eyeshadow in Naked for filling in my eyebrows, but lately I have been wanting to try out an eyebrow pencil for quicker application without the need for a brush and a setting gel.

Essence Eyebrow Designer in 03 Light Brown

I must admit that I was quite hesitent to try this product because when I picture an eyebrow pencil I think of someone with a dark skinny line drawn onto where their eyebrow should be. Thankfully, my first experience with an eyebrow pencil was not nearly as terrifying!

Knowing that most eyebrow powders and pencils tend to look darker on the skin than in the packaging I choose their light brown shade and was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was very true-to-color when applied to the eyebrow area, but you would never know by swatching the pencil (see below for a picture of how terrible it swatches). Plus, if I ever feel like the color is simply too dark in a certain area I have no problem blending the color out with the included brow groomer on the cap. However, for days when my brows are just being simply unruly I find that I may need to set my brows with a clear brow gel.

Uneven, patchy swatch

I also find that I would like a little bit more of a creamier formula than that of this pencil, but for $1.49 I can't really complain. Although, if the formula was creamier it would really make the affordable eyebrow pencil the creme de la creme. Due to the formula being a bit more dry than I would like, I find that it doesn't swatch well on the hand, but when applied to the brow area with firm pressure the pencil distributes pigment evenly and provides a small amount of control for slightly unruly brows.


Although this product is great for its price, I think I may continue to look for another eyebrow pencil. This product is great for beginners and for first starting out with eyebrow pencils, but next time I think I'll be willing to put forth more cash for a creamier formula.


The Stats:
 - Slightly Dry Formula
 - Priced Around $1.49
 - Great Starter Product
 - Long-Lasting
 - Easy To Use
 - Included Brow Groomer
 - Essence products available at Ulta, Fred Meyer and HEB stores

What eyebrow pencils do you use?
Tell me your suggestions in the Comments!

1 comment:

yoli said...

love essence products!