Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Back to School With The Urban Decay Naked Palette

Hey Girls! I think it is insanely important to understand the basics of eye makeup, including how to apply it, where to apply it and why which color goes where. This year many of you may just be entering high school and finally coming to the point that you are allowed to (or want to) wear makeup to school or out and about on a regular basis, but don't fear, I have a few tips and tricks to help any newbies out there get familiar with applying eye makeup and using certain products and tools.

In this tutorial I will be demonstrating how I create my Aria Montgomery (from Pretty Little Liars) inspired eyeshadow look featured in my Deconstructed Face Of  The Days For School Days post. Please be aware, that on me, because of my fair skin tone, this look is a bit dark and dramatic (especially with the amped up version), therefore I would probably would not wear this to school every single day as I tend to like lighter, more sheer looks, but this can still be very wearable for those with a darker complexion or if you prefer to wear slightly more dramatic looks on a daily basis.

Now before we get started, I would like to explain a little bit about the tools and products I will be using to create this look.

Left to right: Sigma Beauty Eye Shading - E55, Sigma
Beauty Tapered Blending - E40, Flirt! Eyeshadow Brush,
Sigma Beauty Pencil - E30, EcoTools Bamboo Angled
Eyeliner Brush, EcoTools Bamboo Lash and Brow
Groomer.


Don't fear if you don't own every brush pictured above, all you really need is two brushes. If you are just starting out with brushes, make your first purchase an eyeshadow shader brush because a shader brush can make a huge difference in the application of your eyeshadow. Shader brushes can also be great multitaskers and serve multiple duties in your makeup routine from lid color, to crease and outer-v color, to highlight and inner corner, to lower lashline color, and can even be used to apply concealer and fill in your brows. After you have a shader brush, make your next priority to find a tapered blending brush. A blending brush can make it much easier to blend out your eyeshadow colors and can also apply crease color flawlessly.

Now that we have that all taken care of, here is the Urban Decay Naked Palette with the colors identified that I will be using in this tutorial.



On to the tutorial!



Start off with a clean, primed eye (I used Napolean Peridis Auto Pilot Eye Spy Eye Cream and Primer, I also have one coat of the L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes Mascara in Black already on because I wasn't planning on doing this tutorial when I first started putting my makeup on) .



Then, pick up your shader brush (in my case, my Sigma Beauty E55 brush) and start to pack Buck eyeshadow onto your lid and up into your crease. It is okay if you have any harsh lines, we will fix that in the next step.



Take your blending brush (in my case, my Sigma Beauty E40) and blend out all the harsh lines and edges using a window wiper motion or blending out in small circles. 



Again, pick up your blending brush or crease brush (in my case, my Flirt! Eyeshadow Brush) and pick up a small amount of Darkhorse eyeshadow and starting at the outer corner, work the color into your crease using a windshield wiper motion or whatever motion you feel comfortable using to build the color into your crease. Feel free to pick up more onto the tip of your brush and repeat as necessary until  you have the desired color or effect. (Note: Using more darkhorse will produce a smokier look, less will produce a defined, but natural look)



Then, wipe the color off of your blending brush or crease brush (in my case, I am using the Sigma Beauty E40 again) and blend out any harsh lines again using windshield wiper motions or small circles. After that, dip your blending brush or shading brush (I am still using my Sigma Beauty E40) and get a small amount of Virgin eyeshadow on your brush and sweep it up onto your brow bone and blend down if necessary. 



To highlight the inner corner of your eyes, use your shader brush or pencil brush (in my case, my Sigma Beauty E30) and pick up some more virgin eyeshadow and stamp it into the inner corner and sweep onto the inner third of your lower lashline. (Note: If you are very new to makeup and eyeshadow, I suggest stopping here at the basic level, for more intermediate to advanced looks, keep reading)



Again, using your shader brush or pencil brush (in my case, my Sigma Beauty E30), dip it into Buck eyeshadow and sweep along your lashline until you meet the Virgin eyeshadow and blend the two together with the same brush sweeping back and forth between the colors.



This next step is optional, if you prefer to fill in your brows and have blonde or brunette hair, use your angled eyebrow brush or shader brush (in my case, my EcoTools Bamboo Angled Eyeliner Brush) and dip it into Naked, Buck or a mix of both and simply sweep in short strokes into your brows to fill in any sparse areas. Also make sure to go over your finished brows with a spooly brush or a lash and brow groomer brush (in my case, my EcoTools Lash and Brow Groomer) with a gel or wax to keep your brows looking good and tamed all day long.
(In the above picture I used Naked and a small amount of Buck to fill in my brows.)



After that, you are done! Just sweep one coat of your favorite mascara on your top and bottom lashes an you are ready to go!

Amped Up Version

If you want to take this look from Day-To-Night or just want to make the look a little more dramatic, try lining your upper lashline, lower and upper waterlines with a dark brown eyeliner (I used Victoria's Secret Very Sexy Pencil Eyeliner in Dark Chocolate) with a second coat of your favorite mascara on both the upper and lower lashes. Instant drama!


Hope you all are having a great day! I have my first day of cosmetology today, wish me luck!

I think I have been liking this whole tutorial thing,
Do you think I should do more? 
Tell me your opinion in the Comments!

4 comments:

metroswimgal said...

Good luck in cosmetology! This is such a gorgeous look! I really want the NAKED palette! Please do more tutorials like this! Could you also do a review on the NAKED palette?

Kelsey said...

Actually I have done a review on my Naked palette a few months back, here is the link, and Thank You for the feedback, I appreciate it!
http://aswrittenbyabiggirl.blogspot.com/2011/06/makeup-review-urban-decay-naked-palette.html

Lovelain94 said...

This looks so nice, and great for back to school, looks lovely xxxx

jodi said...

this palette looks amazing, love the finished result! http://openboxjewels.blogspot.com/ X