Sunday, June 5, 2011

Makeup Review: Urban Decay Naked Palette

Hey Everyone! This is what I know many of you have been waiting for and after much searching and pleading I have finally found it, the Urban Decay Naked Palette! And along with it comes the all too important review, but if you would like to see swatches click here and if you would like to see my May Favorites post it was featured in click here. Now On To The Review!



Once upon a time, I was innocently browsing Sephora's website to look at new products when I came across The Urban Decay Naked Palette. It had all of the eyeshadow colors a girl could need, from barely there naked to golden baked bronze and browns to the sultry and oh-so smokey black and grey. I had lusted after it and what do ya know, over half a year later, I've got my paws on it and I am not letting go anytime soon!

It was just by chance I was able to meet with this highly anticipated palette so I grabbed it and ran the first chance I got! (don't worry, I stopped by the checkout line before running all the way home!) Once I was home I was practically tearing off the packaging to get a glimpse of what was hidden inside of that soft, velvet, brown case.  There it was, the palette of my dreams in all its mattes, satins, shimmers and sparkles paired with champagnes, bronzes, delicious browns and sultry smokes. It was definitely a moment of weakness for me, if someone would have taken it away from me and have not let me ever see it again at that moment, I would have had a mental breakdown.


Thankfully, no one ever tried to pry it away from me and for the last month I have been testing out the colors and their formulas ensuring I can accurately tell each and every one of you about what it is like having this Holy Grail Palette in my possession.


However, there is something I need to get out-of-the-way before I give you the details on the shadows, what I mean by matte, satin, shimmer, and sparkle.

Matte: No shimmer or glitter, just plain color
Satin: sort of a "shiny" finish without noticeable specks of shimmer or glitter
Shimmer: Small, but noticeable flecks of glitter
Sparkle: Large, very obvious and noticeable flecks of glitter  


Left to Right: Virgin, Sin, Naked, Sidecar, and Buck
[Don't worry, those smudges were not on the shadows when I received it, I accidentally deleted the photo I took of these colors so I recently took this pic and obviously I have used the colors so they look smudged and such]

 - Virgin is a satin, creamy-white color which is great for highlighting and inner-corner work.
 - Sin is also a satin, pinky champagne in color and is great as well for highlighting, inner-corner, and as an all-over lid color. (try this shadow overtop of the sin eyeshadow primer potion to make it really stand out)
 - Naked is a matte taupe color which is great for an all-over lid color, light crease color, brow filler for ashy blondes, or even as a matte highlight on darker skintones.
 - Sidecar is a sparkly eyeshadow (read: large chunks of glitter in it which tend to make the eyeshadow rougher-feeling than it should be) and is sort of like a half-way point from Naked to Buck in color (not quite taupe, yet not brown either) and is a really pretty all-over lid color. (I recommend applying with a patting motion and using an eyeshadow shield, tape or a tissue underneath your eyes when applying because fall-out with this shadow is major)
 - Buck is a matte brown that is great for crease-work, outer-corner and for filling in brows on brunettes.

Left to Right: Half Baked, Smog, Darkhorse, Toasted, and Hustle
 - Half Baked is a shimmery golden color which is great as a lid color or as a highlight/inner-corner color for smokey brown looks.
 - Smog is a shimmery golden bronze that is great as a lighter color for brown smokey looks, lid color and as a crease color.
 - Darkhorse as well is a shimmery, cool brown shade with specks of gold shimmer which is great for a crease and outer-corner color.
 - Toasted is a satiny bronzed pink (like a bronzier, darker version of sin) which is a great lid color or crease color for lighter look.
 - Hustle is actually something between a satin and and a matte somehow, it has a less noticeable sheen than the other satins in this palette, but is not completely matte. It's color is a brown with plummy undertones in the pan, but on the hand it looks like a neutral brown that would be a great crease color and outer-corner color.

Left to Right: Toasted, Hustle, Creep, and Gunmetal.
[first 2 shadows are repeated from list of shadows above]

- Toasted is a satiny bronzed pink (like a bronzier, darker version of sin) which is a great lid color or crease color for lighter look.
 - Hustle is actually something between a satin and and a matte somehow, it has a less noticeable sheen than the other satins in this palette, but is not completely matte. It's color is a brown with plummy undertones in the pan, but on the hand it looks like a neutral brown that would be a great crease color and outer-corner color.
 - Creep is a black sparkle (read: large chunks of glitter, but this is much smoother than the other sparkle shadows) that is great for smokey-eyes as a crease and outer-corner color, yet this shadow is not as pigmented as I would like a black shadow to be.
 - Gunmetal in cool toned grey sparkle shadow (read: large chunks of glitter in it which tend to make the eyeshadow rougher-feeling than it should be) that again is great for smoky eyes and can be used in the crease and outer-corner to deepen a color. 


The back of the box 

Here are a few of my favorite color combos from the palette:
(Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Original, Buck eyeshadow filled in the brows and Buxom Lash in Blackest Black used unless indicated otherwise)

My Nearly Naked Eye: Virgin on the inner third of the lid and browbone, Naked on other 2/3 of lid and Buck in the outer-corner and crease (i didn't go far with my crease on this look).


My Natural Pink Champagne Eye: Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Sin, Sin eyeshadow used all-over the lid  up to the browbone, Toasted in the outer-corner and crease with a small amount of buck as well mixed into the crease.

My Golden Eye: Half Baked used on inner half of lid, Toasted used on out-half of lid, Buck in the crease, Sin used as browbone highlight and used in middle of lid to blend colors.

Now for the other things included in the palette besides just the eyeshadow!



There was a small sample-sized Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Original (I already love this product!) included with the palette which I thought was great for those who have never tried it before, but it's also great for those who already love it to use as a travel sized mini. And here's a tip for new users: you don't need as much as you think you do, one small swipe on the lid is enough for your whole eye up to your browbone. In case you don't know what an eyeshadow primer is, it is something you put onto your eyelid as a base to help keep your shadow on longer, go on smoother and increase its vibrancy, all of which this does.

Inside of the palette there is a small inset where a Good Karma Eyeshadow Brush lays. I will admit, I am neither impressed, nor disappointed by this shader brush because, well its JUST your average shader brush, nothing too special about it to me, but I do like that it is perfectly sized to the palette to fit in it for easy travel. (EcoTools shader brush also fits into this inset)



Overall, this is a palette I just can't put down and for good reason! Its got every eyeshadow I could ever need! But Yesterday, I heard a few of my other palettes crying-out to be used, so I took a day off and used a few colors from them, but I will forever be, a devote Naked Palette Addict.

The Stats:
 - Great Value! ($48 for 12 full-sized eyeshadows (regularly $17) , mini primer, and a full-sized Good Karma Brush)
 - Packaging was rushed to meet the demands for the product so my palette has two eyeshadows crookedly pressed down into their slots and there were a few smudges in the darker colors
 - Amazing range in colors (barely there neutrals to dark smokes)
 - Most shadows apply smoothly and evenly
 - Good for travel! (slim case with mirror on the inside and a Good Karma Brush)
 - 4 Exclusive eyeshadows in this palette
 - 4 different finishes
 - Makes it easy to create multiple looks and go from Day-to-Night with this palette


Have you gotten your paws on this palette yet? 
Comment below if you have!

No comments: