Monday, June 20, 2011

Makeup Review: Stila One Step Makeup Foundation

Many of you may recognize this product from my ACW Haul and I am happy to now bring you a review on it!

(sorry for the slight blurriness)

First off I would like to give a little information on this product because it isn't just your average foundation. This product claims to be a 4 in 1 primer, foundation, concealer, and powder in one bottle so I must admit I had unusually high expectations for this foundation. This is a product that I have absolutely anticipated the release of, but after quite a few weeks of wear and comparison to other foundations, I only have mixed feelings about it. 

Usually this foundation has a unique mousse-like texture, but I have noticed time to time that the foundation all of a sudden gets runny like a regular liquid foundation and then after a few days of use it goes back to its usual mousse texture. Regardless of the texture though, I also tend to have inconsistent results even when I use the same method to apply it day after day. I prefer to apply this foundation by using one pump on a foundation brush and dabbing it onto each of my cheeks, forehead and chin. Then I start to evenly blend it out with the foundation brush and finish it off by using a patting motion with a circular sponge. This tends to be the routine I follow with pretty much any foundation, but because it is a 4 in 1 I also go back to any areas that need extra coverage like underneath my eyes and wherever I have blemishes and use a quarter to half of a pump (enough for all these areas) on a concealer brush and apply then use my sponge again to pat the product in.

(the paper I put it on looks "wet" because this foundation is very water based)

Enough about the consistency, lets focus on what really matters most, looks. Starting with what it looks like in the bottle, it looks like any other normal liquid foundation with an air pump, but this foundation, container and all, feels super light compared to even pumpless foundations which is a huge plus. However, one thing I do not like about the packaging in particular is how cheap it feels. It is just a plastic bottle painted silver to make it look like it has a metal finish from far away, but up close, it just feels cheaper to me than it should have been for an originally $44.00 product. It seems they rushed the packaging on this product like it was an after-thought and I am definitely not a fan of it.


When this foundation is on your face it is a completely different story. I feel like the semi-matte finish really agrees with my combo normal/oily skin by drying down to a finish that really does feel like I have set it with powder without actually having to do that step, which is great when you are in a hurry. As well it is so buildable that it allows me to completely cover up all of my dark circles and breakouts without also having to use a concealer. Just one downfall, it does tend to cling a little bit to any of my dryer areas and sink into pores on hot days. So if you have a dry skin type, you may want to slather some moisturizer on and use your own hydrating primer before you think about using this foundation.


The Stats:
 - Mousse-like Texture (although sometimes is more liquid-y)
 - Buildable Coverage
 - 1 pump provides light to medium coverage/2 pumps provide full coverage
 - Results may be inconsistent
 - Feels light on the face
 - Natural Matte Finish
 - Dry skin types may require extra prep before using this foundation
 - Cheap packaging
 - Has a pump (big plus for any foundation in my book!)


I recently saw a similar product by Hard Candy that claims to do the same 4 things that this product claimed to do for just $7.00. Should I try it?
Have any of you tried it?
Share in the comments if you have tried this product or the Hard Candy version!

3 comments:

Kailey said...

I suggest trying the hard candy version :) I would love to know if it works as well or better because I can't really blow $44 on foundation but $7 is much more doable :P Thanks for the review :)

Ashley said...

I would love to hear a review on the hardcandy one! great review thanks for posting it!
http://www.introtobeauty.blogspot.com/

Jade said...

I would equally love to see a review on the hardcandy one!

I'm a new follower & love your blog!
Jade By The Sea
-xox-